The Reed Anytime Review

The Reed Anytime Review

Monday, July 25, 2011

Blueberries!!!

There is something wonderfully satisfying with picking your own food. I don't know what it is and the only thing I can think is that it must be because that is how God created us. I have a wonderful friend who currently is biking across the entire state of Iowa who brought me to this cute little farm in Georgia called Ottawa Family farms about a year and a half ago for strawberry picking and this year we went for blueberry picking. One of the good things about going with her besides spending precious quality time with her and her cute children is that she knows what she is doing and has all the tips you need like packing a small cooler to put the berries in for the trip home and also to keep some cold water in because it is crazy hot right now. Anyway, we had such a wonderful time. The boys ran around on various little make believe adventures. The girls hung in there for quite a while before deciding that the heat was more than they could bear anymore. And Heather and I walked among the blueberry bushes picking berries and talking about all sorts of life matters.

This is the best picture of the four children that I got....



I had so much fun picking the berries and listening to the children run around that I knew I wanted to got back at some point, but once we got home and I got my first taste of the sweetest blueberry you will ever have I knew that we had to go back right away!!! My children, who prior to this didn't really care for blueberries, were hooked. It could be the satisfaction of eating what you picked or it could be the deliciousness of these berries, I don't know, but I knew that they were eating them and what mom wouldn't be happy to have their sweet little kiddos eating healthy foods.

So a week later I sent out a call to anyone who wanted to join us. This time we had three other families come and it was great fun. Since we were heading that way, we just had to stop at Dunkin Donuts for breakfast (don't you hate it when things like happen) and then we hit the road. I think that the mom's were more into picking berries than the children, but once again they all had so much fun running around the bushes on their little imaginary adventures. I just loved listening to them while I picked berries like a mad woman!!! I was definitely a girl with a mission and there wasn't much that was going to come between me and filling my bucket.

Shelby picking before she got to hot


Another great thing about this farm is that they have some animals to look at. We saw lots and lots of cows, dogs, and goats. Some of the goats just had their babies. Have you ever seen a baby goat that is 3 days old??? Well we have and they are so cute!!! Our first trip there the goats were born on Monday and we saw them on Thursday and it was really fun to go back the following week to see how much they grew.

Shelby, JP, Gracen and Pavin checking out the goats



Shelby picked out two who were her favorite and she just followed them around talking to them and about them.

And, do you want to see what 3lbs of blueberries looks like?? This was our bunch from last week.



Don't you just love Shelby's sassy pose??

No comments: