The Reed Anytime Review

The Reed Anytime Review

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Chixlets

So, random thought...lately our children have been on this new kick of gum. I don't know where it came from or how it started. Pratt and I aren't huge gum chewers so it isn't around the house that much. Now, I am not saying that we don't chew gum because we absolutely do; we just don't buy it everytime we go to the store or keep it in stock in our house. In fact, nine times out of ten we don't have any. Back to the point, so, Shelby and JP on on this huge gum kick, or "dum" as JP would say. They are asking for it frequently and since we happen to have some leftover from Christmas stocking stuffers I have been letting them have some.

Shelby is getting the point and only chews it then spits it out after about 1 minute. JP isn't getting it quite yet. He chews it and then swallows it. Everytime I tell him, "JP, you chew it and then when you don't want to chew it anymore you spit it out." And he says, "Mom, I did chewed it." I guess I need to start leading off that conversation with the part that you spit the gum out since he is getting the first part.

Okay, on to the part about Chixlets. After we left Moe's today...yes, I know it isn't a Wednesday, but we also like to go on Sundays after church because it is quick and inexpensive...the children were begging for some gum so I gave them each half a stick and as I was listening to them comment on how the gum was spicy (I have tried to explain that it isn't spicy it is just minty) my mind began to wander to a time long ago when I LOVED Chixlets.

I guess it started at some point in high school. My dad and I would make special trips to the Food Lion up the street so that I could get some Chixlets out of the little gum machine. I would get my gum; then we would walk around the store just to look at all the groceries and come up with ideas of what we could do with them, and then we would leave. I definitely had my favorite combinations; I liked to put the pink with the red and the green, or the orange with the yellow.

Time went on and eventually I graduated from high school, but I still was having this love affair with this gum. My family dropped me off to college and I was a little sad...not nearly as sad as I thought I would be-I didn't cry like some of my new friends had, but I was sad. Pratt came up the next day and when he came by to see my new digs he surprised me with a big box (25lb box to be exact) of chixlets gum!!!! That thing lasted forever!!! And I loved every last bit of gum from that box, but after I was finally done with that box my obsession kind of went away and it has been a long time since I have had any chixlet gum....maybe I will get some soon.

1 comment:

Karissa said...

Miss you guys.....and MOES! Welcome to MOES! I'm confident that you guys will keep them in business for us. I loved chixlets too! Except they don't keep their flavor very long.