Friday after a very busy, hot, and tiring week we joined our neighbors outside for a little outdoor fun. They pulled out the slip-n-slide and kiddie pool and boy did we have a blast. Shelby completely shocked us by braving the slip-n-slide, and she actually enjoyed it! And JP didn't shy away either. It is rumored that even some of the parents (Gerrit, Pratt and myself) made a big splash on the slip-n-slide and there are two trenches in the Albert's yard to prove it:) It was so much fun and a great way to relax with friends after such a crazy week.
As if that wasn't fun enough, on Saturday the club had a pottery painting and ice cream party for the children. What?!?!?! Ice Cream!!! You know we were there! Shelby and JP painted little ice cream bowls and then they got to enjoy an ice cream buffet where there were all kinds of yummy things to put on your ice cream. JP went all out. He put on crushed oreos, marshmallows, rainbow sprinkles, chocolate chips and chocolate syrup. I had to keep reminding myself to exercise self-control and not eat his! Shelby went with the less is more approach and only had rainbow sprinkles and cherries. I made the mistake of letting a little bit of chocolate sauce drip on her's because I thought she said she wanted some so I "had to" remove that part with my own spoon....ooopppsss:)
Here is JP painting his bowl. He actually sat down and got into it a little bit. I can't wait to see what this finished product looks like and what he thinks of it when we get them back. Look at that concentration!
Ella Grace and her mommy joined us for the fun. Shelby and Ella Grace know each other through the Alberts and CBS and last year they were in the same class together. She is such a sweet little girl!!! Her mommy and daddy should write a parenting book because they have definitely done it right. Here is Ella Grace helping Shelby hold her bowl so that she can focus on the painting part. Shelby also did a great job with painting hers and I am sure that she is going to enjoy using it. There is just something so fun with having your own bowl!
Now on to VBS. Wow! What a great week! Gina and all the volunteers did such a wonderful job and I am excited about next year!!! The title was Space Probe 2010 and the theme verse was Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." The children learned all about the beginning, but most importantly they learned that God loved them so much that he sent Jesus, His only son, to die on the cross so that whoever believes can have eternal life. Everything was done with the space theme in mind. All the snacks had cool space names, the salvation plan was given with space theme, and all the crafts they did were around the space theme. I am telling you if I had just one ounce of creativity that Gina has; well, that would be just great. Nevertheless, that isn't a talent I possess, but if you ever need your checkbook balanced, I am your girl!This morning at church they had some of the children from VBS sing for the special music. It was so precious. I love how some children really get into it; they sing loud and motion big, while others (like Shelby and JP) try to be invisible and think that maybe if they don't participate no one will see them. We have had the joy of hearing and watching our children sing these songs and dance to them all week at home and that just fills my heart with such joy so it isn't too big of a deal that they don't go all out on the stage.

No comments:
Post a Comment