A few weeks ago Shelby and I did our first race together. There was much excitement on my part as I love to run and had all these great ideas in my head of how the day would go and how this would be a big love fest for Shelby and I; well....maybe not so much. I am not sure Shelby will ever run again, but we did it!
The race that we ran (actually we only ran the first mile and then we walked the rest, but I was extremely impressed that Shelby ran the first mile as we did absolutely nothing to train for it) was called the Color Vibe. It is pretty neat. Along the race they have color stations set up where they throw the color at you.
I am not sure if you know this about Shelby but she likes to be IN CHARGE all the time; no ifs, ands or buts! This was not a race for someone like her. You really don't have control over a lot of elements and I quickly realized that she was not enjoying it so much. We made it through the first color station fine, but then we started walking and she started, in her own little way, panicking. First sign was that she held my hand for two miles. This girl does not like to hold hands but she held on tight and every time someone came running around us she would grip tighter and tighter. The second sign was that she asked a million questions..."Mommy, why is everyone so loud? Where are Jack and Miss Erin? Where is Miss Erika? I can't see them anymore" etc, etc.
If you asked her today if she like it she will tell you yes, but take it from me, it is not something high on her list of things to do again in this life.


No comments:
Post a Comment