Last year our neighbor ran in the marathon and Leslie, his wife, noticed that there were teams of people running the race and thought that it would be so much fun to do and boy was she right!! This was a year in planning and I am so excited for next year.
We had ten girls running so there was enough to field two teams which meant that we would all have someone to run our 5 mile leg with. We also had a wonderful group of girls who came with us to support us, watch our babies (no, not mine) and take us to our handoff spots. The Saturday before the race we carpooled down to Jacksonville, picked up our race packets, did a little shopping (what girls trip is complete without that?), then we went to Leslie's parents for a pre race dinner of spaghetti and my favorite; wait for it.......COOKIE CAKE!!!!

Leslie and I ran the third leg together and we had a blast....we laughed and cried and survived. I am so proud of her and how far she came over the last month of training and can't wait to see what kind of speed she pulls next year.

All along the race route there were people cheering you on. Some held posters that expressed deep gratitude for running as they had lost loved ones to the cancer and those were the points that we cried.
Here is Austin, Allison and I just chillin at the end...

I don't know of anyone who doesn't know someone whose life has been touched by breast cancer and it was really neat to see all the different names on the racers of bids of who they were running for. I ran for a very dear lady in my life named Barb Turner. She is a remarkable woman with a great love for the Lord and a huge desire to impart wisdom to children and young adults. Her teaching has meant the world to me and Pratt and I really can't say enough how thankful and grateful I am to have her as a mentor, friend and teacher.

We all had such a great time and I think that most everyone is in for another round next year. Can't wait to see how we do next year!

Oh, and if you are wondering, we finished 93rd out of 213 relay teams....not that bad for a bunch of weekend road warriors.
No comments:
Post a Comment