The Reed Anytime Review

The Reed Anytime Review

Saturday, March 5, 2011

March Comes in Like a Lion

You know the saying, "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb"? Well, March came in like a lion in a big way in our house, both literally and physically. I am not lying....at exactly 12:00am on March 1st I was awakened by the sound of thunder and the flast of lightning and at 12:05 my sweet Shelby woke up; so as any good mom would do, I climbed into bed with her and no sooner did my head hit the pillow that I got another call from across the hall. In the end there were three of us cuddled up in Shelby's bed riding out the storm. Thankfully, it didn't last long and we were all back in our own beds after about 30 min or so. And there you go...March came roaring in like a lion.

This first week of March also marked a new and exciting time in our house. This is the first season that both Shelby and JP are old enough to participate in sports and we didn't waste anytime jumping in.

Tuesday started tennis for Shelby and swim lessons for Shelby and JP. The tennis lessons came first and Shelby was so excited. She has been asking to play tennis since the fall and finally it came around. I wish that I could have watched her a little more, but since I knew she was being taken care of by her coach and being watched over, I kept a diligent eye on JP at the playground. She was beaming with excitement and despite the very frigid wind blowing, she truly enjoyed every bit of the lesson. She has been "practicing" nearly everyday in the driveway by balancing the ball on her racket.




Tennis lessons were from 4:00 to 4:45. As soon as they were over we jumped in the car and raced home to grab a good dinner before swim lessons. While I was heating up food for them to eat; Shelby and JP got on their swim suits. I basically shoved food down them and then we jumped back in the car and raced back up to the clubhouse where Stefan was waiting for us.

Shelby and JP were very excited to be back in the pool and I was amazed to see how much they remembered. Stefan didn't waste anytime starting them off right where we ended last year. Shelby pretty much mastered a form of swimming last summer so I anticipate that she will mostly be working on "proper technique" and JP will still be learning confidence in the water and how to put your face in without holding your nose or choking.




Wednesday was a nice day to relax at home in the evening and then Thursday was the start of t-ball for JP. I can't even begin to tell you how excited he was. Think about it, the poor boy is surrounded by girls most of the time and usually is tagging along with Shelby and I to different activities. Now, he has an activity that is just for him and it is all boys. This little guy was in heaven; and, if you are ever looking for a good laugh, go to any sporting event with 4/5 year olds. It is so funny and so cute!!!

JP did a great job at his first practice. They practiced running the bases, fielding ground balls, throwing, and hitting. Then they closed the practice with a little scrimmage. It was so cute!!! JP was such a good listener and you could tell that he really wanted to do well. I can't wait for their first game.

JP running the bases...yes, it was that cold out!! The wind went right to the bone.


JP getting batting instruction from Coach Paige....


One of the truly neat things about this whole t-ball thing is that his coaches, Coach Johnny and Coach Paige, coached my brother Matt and Pratt when they were younger. Also, Johnny has been in a battle for his life this past year as he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about 9 months ago, underwent whipple surgery, went through months and months of chemotherapy and 2 months of radiation. It was just so amazing and heart warming to see his normal, cheerful, encouraging self out there coaching these children and encouraging them. I am very grateful to have such wonderful male influences in my son's life (of course, this also includes his daddy, grandpas, and uncles).

It will be interesting to see if March passes quietly on "like a lamb".

No comments: