The Reed Anytime Review

The Reed Anytime Review

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Bumpies???

Well, last night we reached a point in parenting that I didn't think would come up for atleast a couple of more years. It is really peculiar and I am still trying to figure out if Bumpies are good or bad. Here is the story (and, for all of you who see Shelby on a regular basis, please don't bring this up until we figure out what is going on in her little mind...thanks:-)

So last night we were going through our regular bedtime routine. Before we pray we always ask Shelby what she wants to thank/praise God for from the day. It is quite amusing sometimes; you never know what is going to come out of that little mouth. Anyway, last night she said a few things and I said, "Alright, is there anything else?" She said, "Bumpies!" I thought okay, that is weird, maybe she is hearing a word and getting confused of how to pronounce it. So I went along with it and we thanked God for all her praises and the bumpies. Later in the night, around 1:30-2:00 she woke up coughing so I went in to check on her and give her some cough medicine. As I was saying good night again and about to leave the room she said, "No, mommy, wait, wait." So I came back in and asked what was wrong and she came back with, "I can't sleep. There are bumpies under my bed." Well, that alarmed me a little bit. I mean, I know that children can become afraid of "monsters" in the closet and things under the bed, but I really didn't think that we would get to that point this soon. Her access to what she watches on tv is very limited to the preschool friendly stuff and if I feel that anything might be construed as scary to her or unfamiliar we turn it off. Anyway, back to the story. I checked under her bed and told her that I didn't see any bumpies, just shoes and socks. It seemed to satisfy her and she did go back to sleep. I just really hope that this doesn't become a nightly occurance. We haven't talked about it with her because maybe it is a one night thing and it will pass with out much of a big deal.

If it is something that is persistent, does anyone have suggestions?

No comments: