The Reed Anytime Review

The Reed Anytime Review

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Once Upon a Potty

Every week we try to make it to the library to return old books and pick out a few new books. Our typical visit goes something like this....

Get out of car.
Make sure that Shelby and JP don't get run over in the parking lot.
Climb up on brick wall and walk on it instead of the sidewalk.
Enter library.
Shelby places a few books in the return door and the JP puts the rest in.
Chase JP and Shelby down as they race to the children's section.
Run after JP telling him not to touch anything (he likes to pull all the books off of the shelves) while Shelby picks out a few books.
Corral kids to the check-out desk.
Wait anxiously and as patiently as possible while librarian checks out the books, usually taking her time.
Tell Shelby and JP to follow me out.
Climb up on brick wall and walk down to the end, jump off.
Make sure that Shelby and JP don't get run over in the parking lot.
Put kids in car.

Really, that isn't the whole point of the blog, but it was fun to type....anyway, in the midst of the chasing JP and protecting the library from a tornado, Shelby quietly and calmly walks amongst the shelves, picks out books, and puts them into our bag. I never really get to good of a look.

So fast forward to bedtime...Shelby is allowed to pick out two/three books to read and usually what ever books she picks out the first night with the new books are the books that we read every night for the rest of the week. She is going through her books and picks out Once Upon a Potty. I start reading the book and quickly figure out that this is the little boys version of the book. Thankfully the little light is on so it is very hard to see the pictures and I have become quite good at skipping pages without her knowing. I also make up words sometimes.

The next night I knew that she was going to want to read that book again so before I brought in the bag for her to pick her books from I took that book out and prayed that she wouldn't notice. Well, she did. She asked for and asked for it. I told her that I didn't know where the potty book was but that we would look for it tomorrow.

Of course she found it the next day and so from now until we make it to the library again I am going to be reading her that book every night.

1 comment:

Amy said...

You must park in the same area as I do, Owen loves walking on the bricks instead of the sidewalk. It's the highlight of going to the library!

As for the potty book, that is too funny. She's going to figure all that out as soon as little bro starts potty training but reading the book to her while editing it must've been crackin you up.