The Reed Anytime Review

The Reed Anytime Review

Monday, February 23, 2009

Shelby's 4 Year Check-Up

Last Friday we had Shelby's 4 year well visit with the doctor. This will definitely go down in the books as one of the most difficult trips we have ever made to see the doctor. It all started when I told Shelby earlier in the day that we were going to get to go tee-tee in a cup at the doctor's office. My sweet girl who isn't too thrilled about new experiences determined that was too much to handle and well, that was the beginning. Thanks to advice from Leslie, I took Shelby alone and left JP with her.

On the way there I loaded Shelby up with fluid. She got to drink a juice box in the car and once we got there I made her drink water every chance I could. It was successful because when it came time to go tee-tee in the cup she really had to go and despite all her protests she nearly filled the whole cup up. Amongst other new experiences for her at this appointment was getting her blood pressure taken. She really did a great job with having that cuff around her arm. They also had to do a finger prick. This isn't the first time she has had that done, but she was just a baby for the first one so as far as she was concerned this was her first. She freaked out more when the nurse tried to put a band-aid on her finger than she did when they pricked it. I don't know what it is about her, but she really, really, really doesn't like to wear band-aids!! After all that we saw the doctor. He checked her all out and she did great. She is growing and doing everything she should be and all her lab work came back good. As the doctor was leaving he gave me that look as he said, "We only have one more thing to do." I gave him that look that says "I know, I know." Anyway, Shelby thought since the doctor was gone that we should leave too at which point I knew I couldn't put off the secret any longer. The time had come that I had to tell her about the shots. The word hardly came out of my mouth and she started screaming and crying and carrying on like you wouldn't believe. As we waited for the nurses to come back it seemed like hours had passed when it was probably not even 5 minutes. They both came in and gave me instruction that I would hold her arms and one nurse would sit on her legs while the other nurse would give her the shots. Really, I think that the anticipation of the shots was the worst for Shelby because she put up a fight, but as soon as they were done that was the end and she really didn't continue to carry on. She survived and I survived and I am glad that is behind us now.

Here are her stats:
weight: 36lbs (50%)
height: 40 1/2 in (75%)
blood pressure: 107/63