The Reed Anytime Review

The Reed Anytime Review

Monday, July 20, 2009

First Day of VBS

Today was Shelby's first day of Vacation Bible School at Church of the Cross. She wasn't exactly sure what to feel this morning as we were talking about it at breakfast and you could tell she was definitely getting nervous about it in the car. To tell the truth, I was getting a little nervous for her too. I am not exactly sure why...probably sympathy...yeah, that's it, it had nothing to do with the reliving of every moment I have ever gone into a new situation without knowing anyone. Anyway, when we pulled into the parking lot Shelby asked, "Is this Neely's school? This is Neely's school isn't it?" To which I replied, "Yes, this is where Neely goes to school." I was relieved at this thinking, "okay, maybe it won't be so hard to drop her off after all. Maybe since she recognizes that this is Neely's school she will somehow be okay with everything." All right, deep breath Kim, deep breath! So I turn the car off and ask Shelby to unbuckle herself and then she says, "Mommy, can we just think about this for a minute?" One of the hardest things about being a mom is "strongly encouraging" your children to do something because you know it will benefit them immensely, all the while, you just want to take them in your arms and keep them from doing anything that they don't want to do or are afraid to do. Anyway, we got in the building and I dropped her off in her room. Thankfully Mary Claire, a new little friend of hers, was in the same class and got there at the same time so she transitioned easily. She seemed to have a good time and even remember their verse of the day. Can't wait for tomorrow!! Friday they have a closing show for the parents and I really can't wait for that!!!

Last Friday we went to Third Friday in downtown Bluffton. Pratt was playing an evening round of 9 holes with a friend so the wives and children hit the town. It was a lot of fun. Shelby and JP were great and really enjoyed their Italian Ices. I did notice that as time went on the sky kept getting darker and darker, but it appeared that it was going to skirt us and so I just tried to keep a watchful eye, but carry on with the evening. Gradually the wind started to pick up and it got to blowing pretty steady. Chris looked to his wife Katie and said, "Katie, how long on we going to stand here and pretend that was is about to happen isn't going to happen?" I am telling you, that no sooner did he complete his thought that 3 big fat raindrops hit me and then the bottom fell out. The children thought it was great fun and enjoyed me pushing them in the stroller and running as fast as I could to the car. They stayed pretty dry, but me, oh no, I was soaked to the bone!!! As inconvenient as it was, I have to say that it really was a lot fun...running through the rain like a crazy lady. I think that I will start to play in the rain with the children from now on.

No comments: