The Reed Anytime Review

The Reed Anytime Review

Monday, October 3, 2011

Thankful Thoughts

I always try to put pictures with all my posts, but then sometimes that prevents me from posting just random thoughts so today may or may not be a pictureless day; we'll just have to see how it goes....

Lately, and by lately I don't mean 100% consistent, but more time spent than not, I have found myself on the not focusing on myself end of thought life and more on the look how great things are side. I just always love it when I let go of me and allow God to reveal all that He is and all that He has blessed me with. It always leads to a more happy, content, joyful me. And to celebrate this current state I decided to write down some thoughts about what I am thankful for. Sometimes when I think about all that God has done for me when I have done absolutely nothing, I mean absolutely nothing, to deserve even a smile from Him my socks are totally blown off...wait, look, there they go.

First of all lately I am moved to tears sometimes when I think about my wonderful husband. Despite popular belief, I am not the easiest person to be married to; but yet, I have this wonderful guy who knows me so well and chooses to be with me anyway. And remember folks, we didn't get married on a whim; oh no, we dated and dated and dated (6 years to be exact) before we got married so there really weren't any surprises going into it and he married me anyway. On top of that, he pretty much gives me whatever I want and does for me whatever I want. I mean really, I am totally spoiled. He washes dishes, he cooks, he cleans windows, he takes care of the children, he works crazy hard so I can stay home and pretend like I am the perfect housewife when in fact there are more days where I spend more time watching ESPNU than doing what I should be and then he patiently listens to me complain about how I can't get everything done in a timely manner.

Also, I am so thankful for my children. They have definitely challenged me in so many ways and the Lord uses them constantly to reveal weakness in me and to refine me to be more like Him. Isn't it funny? No one ever goes into having children and thinks, oh I can't wait to be challenged and changed and walk through fire to refine my spirit and character. Yet, that is totally what happens. You realize so much about yourself. I love my children! The other night as I was reading to Shelby she just kept kissing me on my check. I love that! I am thankful for their unconditional love for me and their faith that I can be a good mom and guide them safely through the early years of life.

Another thing that I have been completely blessed by is a wonderful family. Now, my family, we have an unusual sense of humor, but it makes me laugh and I am thankful for that. My mom and dad are still my mom and dad even though I have been married for 11 years and have two children of my own. I am thankful that I can call them anytime of day and ask for advice on stuff and they listen and either give me advice or say, "Good luck kid, we'll pray for you." Lately I have been into running and I am thankful that they are willing to get up early on Saturday mornings despite the fact that they both still work and drive out to Bluffton to watch my children so I can run in a race. I am thankful that they never over spoiled me and that they raised me in a church. I am thankful that they prayed for me everyday and continue to pray for me everyday; I mean where would I be without them...probably not born since I came from them, but whatever. I am thankful that they raised my sister, brother and I to love each other and care for one another. They always made sure to impress on us how important family was and didn't allow sibling rivalry to rule our relationships. They never compared us to each other, but allowed us to be the individuals that God made us to be and then praised us for our differences and encouraged us to look at each other like that.

I am also thankful for a great neighborhood and wonderful neighbors and friends who love the Lord. Sometimes you can feel so lonely in this world and that no one believes what you believe or is raising their children how you are raising yours, but we are surrounded by people who love God and are raising their children under His guidance. Wow!!! I mean, how awesome is that. I am thankful that they love us, love our children, encourage us daily to stay the course, gently rebuke us when we stray and help us get back on our way. Just yesterday as I was cleaning around the house, my ears were filled with the sounds of children laughing and playing and my heart just leaped for joy over the thought that my children were playing and having a great time with their friends.

Finally, right now I am totally thankful for the 5-0 start that my Clemson Tigers have acheived this season!!! I have waited a long time for this and I know at any moment the bottom can drop out (any true Clemson fan knows that it isn't over and nothing is guarenteed until the final second of the last game of the season ticks off the clock) so for now I rejoice and entertain thoughts of ACC Championships and National Championships. Thank you Lord!!!!

PS-of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg of things I am thankful for, there are tons and tons more, but I have to run and actually do something to make it look like I was productive around the house today before I go pick up the children from school:)

No comments: